Gone...


Gone

The truth was hard to hear at first
Then it was hard to see
Since it has been hard to believe or even understand
But more than anything
It has been hard to forget

My mind is an overloaded mess
It took me so long to make sense of everything and put it in its place
But in its place it no longer sits

The water came in
Dark and muddy
It stayed awhile
Covering everything with mud and mold

It rotted the ceilings and walls
It took the floorboards out of the attic
It blurred the pictures
Smeared the words
It took away everything that was familiar
Never to give it back

Grateful to be alive
Feeling like that should be enough

No more job
No more school
Temporary home after temporary home
Family and friends scattered across the map

I walked away from the mess
But I can still see it when I close my eyes
It follows me
It haunts me
It feels like I’m still wadding through the mud
My nose still burns from the smell
My skin still crawls from the sight of the flies covering the ground
I can still taste the salty tears on my cheek

I said goodbye
But I did not let go

I was alive
But my life was gone



Written by G.,G.Rae
Copyright © 2005
All Rights Reserve

1 comment:

Littlebirdblog said...

So sorry for you loss ..I know how hard it is to start again in a different place

Views